Welcome to Emmanuel
When Emmanuel was founded in 1882 we called ourselves a “congregation”—not a “church.”
We are open to the uniqueness of each person's story. Our ministry is about discovering your gifts and your calling. We seek to become compassionate servants of God, reaching out through service to heal and inspire Rockford and the world. We learn together from our own Christian tradition as well as from other cultures, religions, and civilizations.
Join us and explore “God with us”—Emmanuel—a community of people devoted to Christ and to all of God's creation.
Emmanuel extends a heartfelt thank you to the Margaret K. Aldeen Fund of Community Foundation of Northern Illinois for awarding the Emmanuel Food Pantry a grant to purchase food for the hungry people we serve. For details contact the church office (815-963-4815) during normal business hours.
Emmanuel thanks everyone who participated in the 2014 events to raise money to defeat ALS. Please take a minute to find out more.
Emmanuel rents space, even to non-members and outside organizations. If you are planning a wedding, funeral, memorial service, or some other kind of event, we'd be very happy to see if we can help you. Find out more on our Rent Space page.
Wednesdays in Lent, February 20th through March 27th, 2013, Noon to 1 p.m. - Subs 'n Scripture
Come and join us for lunch and Lenten study with Pastor Amy. Discussion to follow. Details on our Calendar.
Sunday, April 14th, 2013, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. -
A Journey of Discovery Through the Chakras
Come and join us for this interesting workshop. Sign up in advance and save money. Details on our Calendar.
“We know that in everything God works for good with those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.” -Romans 8:28
Special Congregational Meeting
CALLING ALL MEMBERS!
Please be sure to attend the very important and exciting Special Congregational Meeting on Sunday, September 29, 2013, following the 10:15 a.m. service. There will be a vote to call a new senior pastor for Emmanuel. A quorum of 50 is needed for the vote, so your attendance is immensely important.
Emmanuel Votes In A New Pastor
It is with great joy that we announce the results of the special congregational meeting held on Sunday, September 29, 2013. An invitation to extended service as pastor of Emmanuel was approved for our recent candidate. There were 87 yes votes and 4 no votes. The Call Committee and Council wish to thank all those who attended the meeting and all of you who have supported Emmanuel with your prayers and faithfulness. This is an exciting time for Emmanuel, with a bright future ahead. We are grateful for Pastor Amy's loving care and guidance during our interim time. As soon as we have more information on starting dates for our new pastor, we will let you know. In the meantime, Rejoice and be glad!
- Sunday, December 1st, for the World AIDS Day Service.
- Saturday, December 7th, for the Christmas Storytelling Benefit.
- Sunday, December 8th, for the St. Nicholas Feast & Fundraiser.
- Sunday, December 15th, for the Lucia Celebration.
- Tuesday, December 17th, for the RUMI's Wedding Night evening.
- Saturday, December 21st. The Winter Solstice at Severson Dells has been cancelled due to bad weather.
- Sunday, December 22nd, for the Family Christmas Service at 10:15 a.m.
- Tuesday, December 24th, for the Christmas Eve Concert at 10:30 p.m., and the Christmas Eve Candelight Service at 11:00 .
- Sundays, January 5th through January 26th, at 6:00 p.m. for a potluck dinner, and at 6:30 p.m. for an in-depth discussion of “Jesus, Rumi, and Me,” a study led by Jim Roberts.
- Friday, January 10th, for the 24 Hour Soul Retreat and Vigil beginning at 6:00 p.m. with a Sound Healing at 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 11th, 5:00 p.m., for Breathe Meditation Service.
- Sundays, February 9th through February 23rd, at 6:00 p.m. for The Healing Drum led by Jim Roberts.
- Saturday, February 15th, at 1:00 p.m. for Mandalas for All Workshop led by Norm Knott.
- Sunday, February 16th, at 11:30 a.m. for Open the Love Window art exhibit.
- Thursdays, February 27th through April 3rd, at 7:00 p.m. for Drumming as Spiritual Practice.
- Note that on March 2nd the Sunday morning services, et al., times changed. Read the letter from Pastor TroyAnn for the details.
- Sunday, March 9th at 2:00 a.m. Daylight Saving Time begins. Move your clocks ahead by one hour otherwise you will be really late for church services.
- Sunday, March 9th, at 3:30 p.m. for The Thirteen Grandmothers: For the Next 7 Generations movie and discussion.
- Sunday, March 16th at 3:00 p.m. for award-winning theatre artist Megan Wells in According to Mary Magdalene, from the Last Supper through Easter Morning. Presented by The Center for the Arts and Spirituality.
- May 4th at 6:00 p.m. for The Sacred Drum: Learn “Healing Rhythms” with Jim Roberts.
- April 9th through April 20th, 2014, for Holy Week services and events. “There is a place” for all to join with Emmanuel during this very sacred time.
- Saturday, May 3rd at 7:00 p.m. for the Bouncing Off The Walls: Broadway Our Way show. Presented by The Center for the Arts and Spirituality and the Chicago Gay Men's Chorus.
- Sunday, May 18th, at the 10:30 a.m. service Top Folk Artist of 2012 Dennis Warner will be playing and sharing a message with us, and entertaining in the Celebration Room afterward. A free-will donation will be taken to offset expenses for Dennis.
- Fridays, May 15th and May 30th, at 5:30 p.m. 5:30 p.m. for Soul Friends Drum Circle.
- Sundays, May 25th, June 1st, June 8th, at 1:00 p.m. (ages 8 to 12) and 2:30 p.m. (teens and adults) for a Trinidadian Steel Pan Workshop. Suggested donation: $50-$75
- Sundays, June 1st, June 8th, and June 22nd, at 11:45 a.m. for the Spiritual Inquirers Conversations. Emmanuel is offering three weeks of Spiritual Conversations about our beliefs and spiritual questions exploring and hearing each other's spiritual journey.
- June 26th at 7:00 p.m. for Sean Johnson & The Wild Lotus Band concert.
- Week beginning July 7th for World Groove Workshop and African Dance, ages 6-12.
- Week beginning July 14th for Jam Jazz Band Experience for teens.
- Wednesday, July 23rd, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. for the Extreme Tour.
- Saturday, August 2nd at 7:00 p.m. for Kim-Char Meredith concert.
- Sunday, August 3rd at 10:30 a.m. for our Emerging Worship Service with singer Kim-Char Meredith as guest speaker.
- Sundays, September 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th at 6:00 p.m. for Celebrating Creation Spirituality presented by Four Winds Center for Spiritual Ecology.
- Sunday, September 14th at 3:00 p.m. for Tim Fenelon and Friends in Concert. Tickets are $10.00 in advance at Emmanuel, and $15.00 at the door.
- Saturday, September 20th at 9:00 a.m. for the 2014 Walk to Defeat ALS. Please join “Marianne's Merry Marchers” as either a sponsored walker or a sponsor in the name of Emmanuel member Marianne.
- Monday, October 6th at 5:30 p.m. at Emmanuel Lutheran Church for organizing a carpool to see Nadia Bolz-Weber appearing at the Belvidere Community Building. Please contact Timothy Park if you're interested in joining.
- Sunday, October 12th at 7:00 p.m. for Shantala: Kirtan ecstatic chants of devotion. Tickets $15 in advance, and $20 at the door.
- Friday, October 24th at 7 p.m. and Sunday, October 26th at 1 p.m. for performance artist, inspirational speaker, and author Elaine Shelly.
- Sunday, November 30th at 5 p.m. for World AIDS Day Service.
- Sunday, December 7th at 3 p.m. for Jodi Beach in Concert.
- Friday, January 9th at 6 p.m. for the 24 Hour Soul Retreat & Vigil. See the schedule for a listing of events and times.
- Saturday, February 7th at Noon and 7:30 p.m. for Summer Osborne Workshop and Concert.
- Wednesday, February 18th for our Ash Wednedsay Traditional Service at 12:00 p.m. in the Chapel, and our Ash Wednesday Taizé Service at 7:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary.
- Sunday, February 22nd at 2:22 p.m. for Tom Zuba: A Celebration of Life.
- Wednesday, February 25th at 7 p.m. when Emmanuel hosts Pr. Chuck Olson as one of the Midtown Lutheran Parish Midweek Lenten Series speakers.
- Sunday, March 1st at 3 p.m. for Tone on Tone: The Foxgrover and Botts Concert.
- Wednesday, March 4th when Emmanuel's Pr. TroyAnn Poulopoulos speaks for the Midtown Lutheran Parish Midweek Lenten Series at Noon at Zion Lutheran Church, and again at 7 p.m. at Calvary Lutheran Church.
- Saturday, March 21st at 7:30 p.m. for The A.F. Siebert Chapel Choir of Carthage College concert.
- Sunday, March 22nd at 10:30 a.m. for the one service with the A.F. Siebert Chapel Choir of Carthage College singing.
- March 29th through April 5th, 2015, for Holy Week services and events. “There is a place” for all to join with Emmanuel during this very sacred time.
- Saturday May 16th beginning at 9 a.m. for Emmanuel's Cleanup Day.
- Sundays, May 17th, 24th, and 31st at 11:30 a.m. for membership orientation. If you're interested in learning more about Emmanuel, or becoming a member, email Karen Ream Buchen from our website.
- Thursday, June 4th, at noon, for WELCA Salad Luncheon.
- Sunday, June 7th at 9:30 a.m. for Celebration Sunday which includes:
- 80 and Over Birthday Celebration,
- Accepting new members, and
- Awarding of Scholarships.
- Tuesday, June 23rd, at 7:00 p.m., for the Sean Johnson & The Wild Lotus Band concert.
There is nothing featured here now, but check our our Community calendar for events scheduled in the future.
Also see our Community calendar.
* * * Our New Pastor * * *
The congregation of Emmanuel Lutheran Church is excited to announce that on November 1, 2013, after close to two years of searching, we welcomed our new pastor, TroyAnn Poulopoulos.
* * * Our New Accompanist * * *
The congregation of Emmanuel Lutheran Church is excited to announce that on January 26, 2014, we welcomed our new accompanist, Kristen Nelson.
Pastor TroyAnn Poulopoulos is known for making the words of the traditional liturgy come to life. She also incorporates other spiritual traditions into her own spiritual practice and study. “We have much to learn from one another and… peace among us depends on the type of respect that leads to deep listening.” Also see her Pastor's Page.
Email Pastor TroyAnn through our website if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, or if you wish to make an appointment to see her call the church office (815-963-4815) during normal business hours.
We are grateful for Pastor Amy's loving care and guidance during our interim time; she has become a dear member of the Emmanuel family. Her last day was October 31, 2013.
Find out about the 2013 Focus Groups.
Please join Spiritual Journeys in our ongoing quest for faith and love. We meet every Tuesday morning from 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in the Celebration Room. We are currently reading Soul Wilderness: A Desert Spirituality by Kerry Walters.
Please join our Adult Ed program which provides the Emmanuel congregation with a wide variety of educational opportunities for adults 17 and older in the Benson room. We are currently going through the “Kindle a Fire in your Spiritual Practice” discussion series, and the NOOMA film and discussion series.
- Black & White And Re(a)d All Over exhibit beginning on Sunday, August 4th, in the Celebration Room.
- Making Your Own Mark: A Workshop in Black and White, on Sunday, August 11th, and Monday, August 12th, beginning 1:00 p.m.
Calling all Emmanuel artists: For the 2013 Fall ArtScene, RAAC is sponsoring artists to show their artwork in 7th Street Business District storefront windows. Contact Michelle at Just Goods (815-965-8903) for details. Here is the application.
“Give Yourself to Love”
Extending our “gift of love” to Pastor TroyAnn Poulopoulos.
- Call to Artists for the Open the Love Window exhibit. Entry form and artwork are due by Sunday, February 9th. Please attach an artwork label to the back of each piece submitted.
- Open the Love Window exhibit from Sunday, February 16th through Sunday, March 23rd in the Celebration Room.
- Art & Soul Workshop: Windows to Spring Equinox on Sunday, March 23rd at 1:00 p.m. in the Library.
- Inspirational Connections art exhibition beginning on Sunday, April 13th at 11:30 a.m. in the Celebration Room, and running through Sunday, May 18th.
- Call to Artists for the Wind & Fire Art Exhibit. Entry form and artwork are due by Monday, June 2nd. Please attach an artwork label to the back of each piece submitted.
- Wind & Fire Art Exhibit beginning on Sunday, June 8th at 11:30 a.m. in the Celebration Room, and running through Sunday, July 20th.
- Word of Art begins on Friday, September 5th at 4:00 p.m. in the Celebration Room, and runs through Monday, September 29th.
- “Portraits” ArtScene Fall 2014 opens on Friday, October 3rd and runs through Sunday, November 9th in the Emmanuel Gallery. Opening reception is on October 3rd and October 4th.
Spirit of the Heart... Only Love Matters opens February 8th and is on display until Easter, April 5th.
There is nothing scheduled now, but please check back often.
Art@Emmanuel and the RIC Task Force present the “Shower of Stoles” exhibit beginning on Sunday, June 2nd, through Sunday, June 23rd in the Emmanuel's Sanctuary and Community Room. The Opening Reception on June 2nd is open to the public.
Four Winds presents Sean Johnson & The Wild Lotus Band in concert on Thursday, July 11th at 7:00 p.m. See the church calendar for details, and call the church office (815-963-4815) during normal business hours to reserve tickets.
Come to our free Sunday Movie Matinee, the fourth Sunday of the month, at 4:00 p.m., October through April. See our Community Calendar to find out what's showing.
Sunday, January 27, 2013, 11:30 a.m.: If you are a member of Emmanuel Lutheran Church, please plan on attending our Annual Meeting of the Congregation. We will be voting on new church council members and other important church business.
Please keep Emmanuel and the Call Committee in your prayers as we search for a permanent pastor.
Wednesday Book Study with Pastor Amy: We are currently reading Dog Psalms: Prayers My Dogs Have Taught Me. See the Worship calendar for details. All are welcome.
On March 7th, 2013, Emmanuel was officially recognized by ReconcilingWorks (ReconcilingWorks.org) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) (elca.org) as a Reconciling in Christ (ReconcilingWorks.org/ric/) (RIC) congregation. Emmanuel has an RIC Task Force to educate the congregation on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues that relate to the life of the church.
Four Winds is bringing a study/discussion of the book Soulcraft: Crossing into the Mysteries of Nature and Psyche for five Sunday evenings. Details on the Calendar page.Call the office at 815-963-4815 for details.
|Emmanuel is an affiliate of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) (elca.org), Northern Illinois Synod (nisynod.org).|
On November 18th, 2012, Emmanuel Lutheran Church celebrated her 130th Anniversary.
Emmanuel is a Rockford Area Lutheran Ministries (rockfordlutheranministries.com) partner.
|Emmanuel is a Reconciling in Christ (ReconcilingWorks.org/ric/) (RIC) congregation and warmly welcomes openly LGBT seekers and believers of all ages as well as their families and friends. Among the regular activities Emmanuel offers the LGBT community is the RIC Task Force, the Gay Men Gathering group, and the Lesbian Conversation Group. Emmanuel is also active in other social justice issues.|
Please also see our FAQ online on our About Us page for more information about Emmanuel.